Monday, 2 July 2012

Book review: Comedy Writing Secrets by Melvin Helitzer



I think this IS the must-have book for every comedy writer wannabes. Found it on amazon.com first before I downloaded it from http://www.ardor.ru/secret/Humor_ENG.pdf. A page turner, an ultimate reference, a true guide and a gotta-read-it-again material.

The best chapter was Chapter Six: POW (Play on words) Brainstorming Technique. As far as my comedy writing learning goes, the listing method, as explained in this chapter was the most effective in writing good jokes. I am currently writing an article titled "The Pleasure of Simplicity" using this technique and I found the method really helps to squeeze the funny juices out of your brain.

Intend to submit my first comedy article to the Sun newspaper. Once published (or rejected), I will surely share the craft in this blog.

If you are more of a listener than a reader, you may wish to learn the listing technique in the next post, which I would link a video made by Jerry Corley.

No comments:

Post a Comment